Sports Briefs 2/26

MEN’S BASKETBALL

After taking on rival Florida State on Wednesday,  the Hurricanes will be faced with their final home game against No. 15 North Carolina at 2 p.m. Saturday. Junior guard Sheldon McClellan is listed on the 16-player watch list for the inaugural 2015 Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award.

The award recognizes the top shooting guards in Division I men’s college basketball. As of  Monday’s national statistics, McClellan has the top shooting percentage in the nation by a guard in the Big 5 conferences and is seventh best by a guard in the nation.

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

The Hurricanes are heading to Wake Forrest (10-18, 1-13 ACC) in their last regular season road game on Thursday. Tip off will be at 7 p.m. Miami has won three straight games against Wake Forest and leads 9-8 in the all-time series. In last season’s two meetings, the Canes won 84-53 at Wake Forest in January and then defeated them at home  72-64 in February. The Canes received votes in the USA Today Coaches Poll for the fifth time this season, though they remain unranked.

As the season winds down, the Canes will look to possible post–season runs with a current 19-8 record overall and 8-6 in the ACC.

TRACK & FIELD

The Hurricanes are running back to action at the ACC Indoor Championships in Blacksburg, Va. this weekend. Virginia Tech will be hosting the championships this year. Athletes will seek to better their rankings for the 2015 NCAA Indoor Championships on March 13-14.

Sophomore Shakima Wimbley will be defending her title as ACC indoor 200m champion and as a member of last year’s gold medal-winning 4x400m relay.

This season, Wimbley established an ACC and school record with her time of 51.82 seconds in the 400m on Jan. 23.

Senior Lea Johnson will also be defending her women’s weight throw ACC indoor title from a year ago. The events take place Thursday, Friday and Saturday, with finals on Saturday available for viewing on ESPN 3.

MEN’S TENNIS

It’s a full weekend of tennis in Miami. In addition to the women’s team playing Wake Forest on Friday, the Hurricanes men’s tennis team will play a double header against Bethune-Cookman on Saturday.

The No. 71 Canes will attempt to bounce back from their 4-3 loss to No. 48 Pepperdine on Valentine’s Day. The matches begin at 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...