Campus Life, News

Mahoney, Pearson residents evacuated

A fire truck and evacuated students in front of Mahoney-Pearson residential colleges Wednesday afternoon. // Photo courtesy Nicole Katz

Mahoney and Pearson Residential College residents were evacuated from their dorms on Wednesday afternoon.

As of 5 p.m., however, students were back inside the building.

Officials say that the university is dealing with an apparent burst sprinkler pipe. This leak is responsible for three to four inches of standing water in the basement, which will be pumped out.

There was no impact on student floors, and no one was hurt.

Facilities and other personnel are on site working on cleaning up and removing water.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...