Basketball, Sports

Miami’s tournament chances riding on rivalry game

Coming off a heartbreaking loss in Louisville that knocked Miami into college basketball analyst Joe Lunardi’s “Next Four Out” from the “First Four Out,” the Hurricanes will host rival Florida State Seminoles 9 p.m. Wednesday night in the BankUnited Center.

“When you are in the ACC, every team you play is a very good team. We have two home games and two road games,” head coach Jim Larrañaga said. “I still think our best basketball is ahead of us, and if we play our best, I think we can compete and win any game we are in.”

Miami (17-10, 7-7 ACC) led for much of the game against Louisville, only to falter in the final minutes and lose 55-53. Louisville was reeling — having lost its previous two games — and amid team turmoil, with the team reinstating suspended point guard Chris Jones to play against the Hurricanes. Miami looked to have an opportunity to validate its season and earn an NCAA tournament bid, yet ultimately came up short.

Now, it is essential that the Hurricanes win out in order to make it to the Big Dance.

Florida State (15-13, 7-8 ACC) comes to Coral Gables already having beaten the Hurricanes this season. In Tallahassee, the Seminoles rallied from 16 points down in that game to triumph over the Canes 55-54. Junior guard and leading scorer Sheldon McClellan had an opportunity to win that game for Miami, but his floater in the lane clanked out as time expired.

Throughout the final weeks of the season, Larrañaga has stressed that his team needs an RPI in the top 40 to make the NCAA tournament. Its RPI currently resides at 67.

Mark Poulose

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...