Community, Edge

USpeak hosts Miami author Jaquira Diaz

USpeak_Mug

Jaquira Diaz

Award-winning essayist, fiction writer and Miami native Jaquira Diaz will serve as the featured speaker at the USpeak Flash Fiction & Poetry Performance event at 7 p.m. Thursday.

The Wesley House welcomes writers and listeners to another USpeak as part of the bimonthly series held by the College of Arts and Sciences, the English Department’s Creative Writing Program, and the undergraduate Mangrove Literary Journal.

The event is free to attend and open to students of all majors.

Students will perform alongside Diaz, who is a recipient of a Pushcart Prize, the Carl Djerassi Fiction Fellowship from the Wisconsin Institute for Creative Writing, and an NEA Fellowship to the Hambidge Center for Creative Arts and Sciences.

Her work appears in, is noted in, or is anthologized by publications such as The Southern Review, Best American Essays 2012, Best American Nonrequired Reading 2014, and The Los Angeles Review of Books.

USpeak will take place at the CAS Gallery. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.

Haley Walker

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...