Community, Edge

USpeak hosts Miami author Jaquira Diaz

USpeak_Mug

Jaquira Diaz

Award-winning essayist, fiction writer and Miami native Jaquira Diaz will serve as the featured speaker at the USpeak Flash Fiction & Poetry Performance event at 7 p.m. Thursday.

The Wesley House welcomes writers and listeners to another USpeak as part of the bimonthly series held by the College of Arts and Sciences, the English Department’s Creative Writing Program, and the undergraduate Mangrove Literary Journal.

The event is free to attend and open to students of all majors.

Students will perform alongside Diaz, who is a recipient of a Pushcart Prize, the Carl Djerassi Fiction Fellowship from the Wisconsin Institute for Creative Writing, and an NEA Fellowship to the Hambidge Center for Creative Arts and Sciences.

Her work appears in, is noted in, or is anthologized by publications such as The Southern Review, Best American Essays 2012, Best American Nonrequired Reading 2014, and The Los Angeles Review of Books.

USpeak will take place at the CAS Gallery. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.

Haley Walker

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...