Community, Edge, Food

South beach festival brings treats to beach

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

The 2015 South Beach Wine & Food Festival (SOBEWFF) came to town, bringing with it a powerhouse of culinary forces including local restaurants, celebrity chefs and wines and spirits. The event was set right on the beach, allowing guests to get a taste of the sand and sea as well as the incredible array of dishes.

For those who didn’t get a chance to attend the festival, there’s still a way to try some of the best food Miami has to offer. Students can recreate the experience by ordering drinks, appetizers or smaller bites for a fraction of the festival’s ticket cost at these local spots. Here are some close-to-campus restaurants to check out from SOBEWFF 2015.

Eating House

Cuisine: Americana with a twist

Festival Dish: Mini Dirt Cup (whipped tierra nueva with brown butter caramel pretzel)

Chef: Giorgio Rapicavoli

Easy dish for students:  Fritattas – mix all kinds of leftovers with eggs to create a new dish.

Location: 804 Ponce De Leon Blvd.

Earl’s Kitchen + Bar

Cuisine: Globally inspired

Festival Dish: Tuna Tostada

Chef: Justin Draper

Favorite Dish: “Royal Burger,” a freshly baked brioche bun, patty, tomato relish, tomato aioli, mushroom ketchup, smoked cheddar and nacho cheese

Location: 7535 N. Kendall Drive, Unit 2510

The Drunken Chefs Company

Cuisine: Alcohol-infused desserts

Festival Dish: Buttery cookie with Bailey’s Irish cream, butterscotch schnapps, Beernuts, Heath bar crunch bits and butterscotch morsels

Chef: Jonathan Alexander Walkenstein

Favorite Dish: Chocolate with walnuts and bourbon with a raspberry sauce

Location: 1172 S. Dixie Hwy., Suite 481

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...