Academics, News

Frost Music Studios opens bigger, better building

Courtesy of Frost School of Music via Facebook

Courtesy Frost School of Music via Facebook

The Frost School of Music has received a face-lift.

On Friday, the school unveiled its new Patricia Louise Frost Music Studios, which will serve as a space for music students and faculty to practice their craft. The 41,089-square-foot building includes 77 teaching studios and two classrooms.

The studios, featuring a LEED Platinum designation for efficiency and environmental sensitivity, provide an upgrade from the previous buildings used for classrooms in the School of Music. 

“The school has grown both in its size and in the way that it provides education to the students,” Associate Dean Raul Murciano said. “…We have been in need of spaces like this really for about 30 years.”

The addition to the school will benefit Frost students with more space to play, Murciano explained.

“It will allow the School of Music to finally have facilities in the space that is commensurate with the kind of work that it does, in spite of the less-than-ideal space that we’ve had up until now,” he said. “We have been able to do more with very little then virtually anybody else. So now we will be able to do even more.”

The opening ceremonies included a performance of Joan Towers’ “Fanfare for an Uncommon Woman” by Frost students dedicated to Patricia Frost and a speech from School of Music Dean, Shelton Berg. The Frost Studios then opened for self-guided tours, with more than 300 guests from around the country present to tour the building.

Frost Music School students perform during Friday’s dedication event for the newly constructed Patricia Louise Frost Music Studios, located adjacent to the Gusman Concert Hall. Nagashreyasu Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

Associate Dean Steve Moore stressed the importance of having rooms with the proper acoustic and recording capabilities for music compilation.

“You don’t just take a classroom and make music in it because it has to have acoustic properties and it has to have acoustic isolation,” he said. “So that’s part of the reason that you would want to make rooms specifically conducive to music learning, and that’s part of the reason why we needed the new studios.”

Murciano said the installation of the studios will enhance the image of both Frost and the university.

“The new Frost Studios will impact the university because it will continue to raise visibility in the School of Music and by proxy the university’s image will be enhanced by that,” he said.

Jori Grossman

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...