Basketball, Sports

Lady Canes crumble after N.C. State comeback

After Miami went on a 19-2 run to go into halftime up 18 over N.C. State, some fans at the Reynolds Coliseum may have wanted to leave.

If they did, they missed one of the most impressive comebacks in NCAA play this season.

The Miami Hurricanes squandered a 20-point, second half lead, falling on the road at N.C. State 68-65.

“If there was one team I felt that could come back, it was them,” Coach Katie Meier said post game. “We had some seniors, some upperclassmen lose their poise, make some uncharacteristic turnovers.”

Miami (18-8, 8-5 ACC) went into the halftime break up 42-24, thanks to 17 points from Adrienne Motley, and 13 from Michelle Woods. The half ended on a three-point buzzer beater from Motley – all the momentum in Miami’s favor. The Hurricanes scored 19 points in a mere four minutes.

But N.C. State (15-11, 6-7) continually chipped away in the second half, eventually earning possession with the shot clock turned off late in the game. Out of a timeout, N.C. State’s Len’nique Brown found herself on the right wing off a double switch, and sunk a contested three over the hands of Necole Sterling – a dagger that gave the Wolfpack a 68-65 lead with 2.6 seconds remaining. Miami’s desperation three at the buzzer was on line, but short from Sterling.

Miami will return home this weekend to take on a talented North Carolina squad. “The rest of the conference season is now that much more important,” Meier said. “We have some work to do.”

AJ Ricketts