Basketball, Sports

Victories promise bright future

On less of a tournament bubble than the men, the Miami Hurricanes women’s basketball team faces a critical game Thursday night, on the road at NC State.

The Hurricanes (18-7, 8-4 ACC) are coming off of a dramatic victory at home against Georgia Tech. Trailing 59-49 with less than five minutes to play, Miami rattled off a 15-0 to finish the game and boost their tournament hopes.

This game followed one of the most impressive efforts of the season for Miami: a 85-67 win on the road against No. 23 Syracuse, a game Miami controlled throughout.

Sophomore Adrienne Motley scored 18 points in the win over Georgia Tech, while Michelle Woods added 13, with 10 of those coming in the final four minutes.

The Hurricanes are in a good position, with four conference games left on the schedule. With the solid nonconference performance and notable conference wins, particularly a 15-point victory over No. 4 Notre Dame, the Canes could reasonably win two of the next four and still look favorable

The win over Notre Dame was huge    Miami was the first team other than UConn to defeat the Irish in the past two years.

A home tilt with Carolina will follow the NC State game, with Wake Forest on the road and Florida State at home on senior night rounding out the regular season.

AJ Ricketts