Edge Briefs 2/19

‘The Women’

“The Women,” a mid-20th century play featuring an all-female cast of 20, opened Wednesday at the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre.  The show follows a group of five friends in the 1930s as they confront the obstacles of Manhattan’s upper-class society and being a woman during the time period. It will run through Feb. 28. For showtimes, visit as.miami.edu/ringtheatre/2014-15-season/.

Cosford Screening

This week, the Cosford Cinema will be playing “Match” at 6:30 p.m. Friday, 3:15 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Saturday, and 2 p.m. and 6:15 p.m.  Sunday. “Human Capital” will screen at 8:30 p.m. Friday, 1 p.m. and 5:15 p.m. Saturday,  and 4 p.m. and 8:15 p.m. Sunday. “Interstellar” will play at 9:30 p.m. Saturday. For more information, visit cosfordcinema.com.

Art Colloquium

A Colloquium entitled “Islam,  Art,  Gender and Sexuality” will take place with professors Amanullah De Sondy and Karen Mathews at 4 p.m. March 2 at the Lowe Art Museum. The event is free, open to the public and will seek to explore the ways in which Muslim men and women deal with issues of patriarchy, freedom of views, pluralism, race and ethnicity, censorship, and exile through gender and sexual expression in the visual arts. RSVP at as.miami.edu/religion/IAGS.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...