Sports, Tennis

Companionship strengthens team

It has been a relaxing two weeks for UM’s women’s tennis squad, who retains a top-10 ITA ranking for the second week in a row during a much-needed bye week after a grueling weekend at the ITA National Indoor Collegiate Championships.

This weekend, the No. 9-ranked Hurricanes take on the unranked FGCU Eagles before ACC play begins on Feb. 27. This is their highest ranking since February of last year.

The Hurricanes, who are 3-2 in the spring season, are one of three ACC teams in the top 10. Their only two losses are to teams that have had No. 1 rankings (UCLA and North Carolina). One of their wins was against No. 7 Alabama.

“Having played number one, three and seven in the nation [last]weekend just makes a team stronger.” Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews told Hurricanesports.com. “We learned so much about this team and I’m looking forward to an amazing season.”

The key to Miami’s continued success lies in the companionship between upper and underclassmen. Breakout freshman Sinead Lohan and Wendy Zhang are ranked No. 36 and No. 98, respectively, and also combine as a No. 57-ranked doubles duo. Their surging triumphs must be matched by veterans such as No. 8 Stephanie Wagner and doubles teams of Wagner and Lina Lileikite, currently No. 10, along with Clementina Riobueno and Monique Albuquerque who clock in at No. 17.

The Hurricanes will take on FGCU at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center at 4 p.m this Friday, Feb. 20.

Featured image courtesy Hurricane Sports

Alexa Pappas