Edge, Music

Classical guitarist comes to campus

Photo Courtesy stltoday.com

Photo Courtesy stltoday.com

Just two weeks after winning the 2015 Grammy Award for Best Classical Instrumental Solo, classical guitarist Jason Vieaux, 41, will perform at the University of Miami Saturday.

As a full-time teacher and performer, Vieaux has dedicated his life to music and musical education. He will bring his talents to the Clarke Recital Hall for an intimate performance. Frederico Musgrove Stetson, a first-year doctoral student in the Frost School of Music, worked with the Florida Guitar Foundation to bring Vieaux to UM.

“We’re trying to expand our audience, and I do tell people if you go to one concert, you’ll come back for another one,” Musgrove Stetson said.

Musgrove Stetson believes Vieaux has great prowess and notes that his winning means a lot for classical guitarists.

“Guitars don’t get nominated too often for that [category]because you go against the piano players, or the violin players, these huge people backed by big companies,” Musgrove Stetson said. “I think this is the third win for solo guitars.”

The concert will take place in the intimate Clarke Recital hall, which holds 137 people, allowing for the audience to hear everything without the need for amplification. It will last between an hour and a half to two hours with an intermission in between. Vieaux be available to sign CDs and take pictures after the concert, meaning that listeners will get the chance to meet him personally.

The set list for the evening includes 12 songs such as Mauro Giuliani’s “Grand Overture,” Vieaux’s arrangements of Pat Metheny’s “Always and Forever,” and Duke Ellington’s “In a Sentimental Mood.”

Vieaux has released 11 CDs, including “PLAY,” for which he won the 2015 Grammy award. He will play an array of classical genres, from famous composer like Johann Sebastian Bach to contemporary Brazilian composer Paulo Bellinati.

Vieaux tours frequently, but for Musgrove Stetson, one of the most fascinating aspects of Vieaux’s career is his online music school – Online Classical Guitar School with Jason Vieaux. Stetson believes online music schools are the future.

“It’s pretty cool because you submit a video and then he looks at it and then gets back to you,” Musgrove Stetson said. “He’s always one step ahead of everyone else when it comes to [music].”

If You Go

Where: Clarke Recital Hall

When: 8:00P.M. on Saturday, February 21

Cost: Tickets cost $30 for general admission and $15 for students.

Esther Ponce De Leon

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...