Community, Edge

Coconut Grove Arts Festival features eclectic music showcase

Coconut Grove Arts Festival (CGAF) is a three-day outdoor fine arts festival in Miami where artists around the world display their works alongside food, music and a lively atmosphere. CGAF opened Saturday for its 52nd year with, more than 380 artists participating, and will run through Monday.

The festival partnered with the Miami New Times to offer a whole showcase of eclectic musical artists at the main stage. With Zach Deputy, a self-described one-man “Island-infused, Drum ‘n’ Bass, Gospel-Ninja-Soul,” and a special guest, Miami natives Juke, the first day concluded with a major open field dance party for fans of a fusion of rhythm and blues, soul, jam, Caribbean and electronica music.

Continuing the high-quality performance, the award-winning, psychedelic southern rock band Bright Light Social Hour will rock on Sunday evening. Being a favorite on the national touring rotation with incendiary live performances, the band has swept six awards presented by the SXSW 2011 Austin Music Awards, including Band of the Year, Album of the Year and Song of the Year. Their second full-length album will also be released in March.

On Monday, the wildly unapologetic and kazoo-wielding Beebs and Her Moneymakers will end the festival.

Saturday

Gold Dust Lounge 12:30 p.m.

Robby Hunter 2 p.m.

My Deer 3:30 p.m.

Zach Deputy w/ Special Guests: Juke 5 p.m.

Sunday

Krisp 12:30 p.m.

The Deaf Poets 1:30 p.m.

Ketchy Shuby 2:30 p.m.

Locos Por Juana 3:30 p.m.

The Bright Light Social Hour 5 p.m.

Monday

Chloe Dolandis 12:30 p.m.

Shotgun Betty 2 p.m.

Suenalo 3:30 p.m.

Beebs & Her Moneymakers 5 p.m.

Featured Photo Courtesy Coconut Grove Arts Festival.

Siyuan Tong

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...