Community, Edge

Celebrating Mardi Gras in South Florida

Mardi Gras, or “Fat Tuesday” in French, derives its name from the rich, fatty foods that are traditionally consumed on the holiday of indulgence, revelry and occasional debauchery.

As the last hurrah before the asceticism of the religious holiday Lent, Mardi Gras is characterized by opulent parades, masked party-goers and overall public mischief. For local revelers and jesters, Miami offers a smattering of opportunities to celebrate.

Shuck-N-Dive Cajun Cafe

Shuck-n-Dive Cajun Cafe will host its 17th annual Mardi Gras celebration Tuesday evening. Stop by from noon to midnight for some cajun classics, such as fresh oysters, fried green tomatoes, shrimp-n-grits, crawfish boil, and boudin sausage. Shuck-n-Dive is located at 650 N Federal Hwy, Fort Lauderdale, Fla. 33304.

Mary Brickell Village

Featuring stilt walkers, drummers, dancers, unicyclists and live blues, this downtown celebration lasts from 6 to 11 p.m on Tuesday. Mary Brickell Village is located at 901 S Miami Avenue, Miami, Fla. 33130.

The Fish House

The Fish House, a casual dining seafood restaurant, will host a Mardi Gras celebration featuring live jazz blues music and food. The festivities begin 6 p.m. on Tuesday. The Fish House is located at 10000 SW 56th St. Kendall, Fla., 33165.

Karaoke at the Blue Martini

This 21-and-over venue at will feature its weekly karaoke night at 10 p.m. Monday evening with a Mardi Gras twist. Guests are encouraged to dress in costumes and masks. Blue Martini is located at 8405 Mills Drive, Kendall, Fla. 33183.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Mark Gstohl

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...