Basketball, Sports

Lady Canes grab big win at No. 23 Syracuse

Credit - Syracuse Athletics Communications

Photo courtesy Syracuse Athletics Communications

Miami Women’s Basketball earned an impressive, critical on-the-road win over No. 23 Syracuse, 85-71 Thursday night.

For the Miami women, life on the road has not been kind recently. Five consecutive weekends brought five road games, three of those against ranked squads. After a loss against Louisville on the road, Miami even had to stay an extra night due to mechanical problems on the plane. Thursday, Miami once again had to stay an extra night.

Despite the sub-zero temperatures in upstate New York, Miami (17-7, 7-4 ACC) was on fire from the field throughout the game in the Carrier Dome, shooting nearly 50 percent. The Canes were paced by Suriya McGuire, who scored 17 points on 7-11 shooting, while Michelle Woods and Adrienne Motley added 15 and 14, respectively.

Miami’s freshman also gave the Canes a big lift in the first half. Erykah Davenport scored eight first half points on 4-6 shooting, showing an impressive array of post moves in the process, an encouraging sign of the potential emergence of a young player. Keyanna Harris had back-to-back buckets in a nice sequence that included an and-one play, and Khaila Prather continued the solid defensive presence and willingness to crash the boards she has displayed over the past few games.

Syracuse (17-8, 7-5) had four players in double figures, led by Alexis Peterson’s 21. Their full court and half court trapping pressure however, never really affected Miami’s guards, who utilized ball fakes and lob passes efficiently to counter the pressure, a majority of turnovers coming off sets in the half court.

Despite shooting 1-8 from beyond the arc in the first half, Miami still held a 35-25 lead, a testament to their defensive effort and effectiveness in the paint. Poor shooting nights have hurt Miami on the road this season – against Syracuse, Miami executed on all other aspects of their game, and picked up the shooting in the second half, shooting 4-9 from the perimeter.

Miami will finally return home for a contest with Georgia Tech this Sunday afternoon at 3 pm. It will be Miami’s ‘Play for Kay’ day, an initiative in which schools wear pink to raise breast cancer awareness and honor former NC State head coach Kay Yow, who passed away in 2009.

AJ Ricketts

One by one, they stepped up to the scale. First-round picks and long-shot prospects alike. Here, the ...

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

Miami Northwestern senior Nigel Bethel, a 5-11, 160-pounder who chose the Hurricanes over Central Fl ...

The University of Louisville coaching staff must have been puzzled watching tape of the Miami Hurric ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Miami men's basketball team returns home at 8 p.m. Wednesday to battle Louisville at the so ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team has earned the first ACC Player of the ...

The Miami women's basketball team will take on fourth-ranked Louisville Thursday at 11 a.m., on ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...