Edge, Music, Reviews

Steamy soundtracks star big names

Whether you’re excited for “Fifty Shades of Grey” to come out in theaters or judge those who have read the books, it doesn’t matter: the soundtrack is shamelessly incredible and deserves an award for telling a story better than the book and the movie combined.

The 15-track album features big names such as Beyoncé, The Weeknd, Annie Lennox and the Rolling Stones. It ranges from Ellie Goulding’s ready-for-radio pop anthem “Love Me Like You Do” to Sia’s slow-tempo ballad “Salted Wound.”

Overall, the album intertwines different aspects of love just in time for Valentine’s Day weekend and tells more personal stories than E.L. James could ever put together on paper.

R&B singer The Weeknd brings two songs to the forefront as sexual anthems. “Earned It” and “Where You Belong” both feature the singer’s famous vocals and heavy use of bass that make the songs as sensual as possible.

Following in the steps of The Weeknd, Beyoncé also has two tracks that spearhead the stereotypical image of “Fifty Shades.” “Haunted” highlights her breathy voice that can turn up the mood for any Valentine’s date. The remixed version of the 2003 hit “Crazy in Love” takes the singer’s love song into a journey of seduction. It’s difficult not to get goose bumps when the last line is a dragged out in an “uh oh” that leaves listener wanting to hit repeat.

For the romantic portion of the album, look no further than the classic “Witchcraft” by Frank Sinatra. The re-mastered song can make anyone want to find a date to dance with, whether it’s in a suit and tie or just twirling around in the living room. Sinatra’s smooth, timeless voice provides a classier take on love.

The album also reveals the complex nature of trusting someone, especially when it is easy to become accustomed to solitude. Skylar Grey’s “I Know You” is a piano and violin heavy anthem about taking a chance on someone because although they are “more than innocent,” they still have a few tricks up their sleeves.

Overall, despite any criticism “Fifty Shades of Grey” might have received, don’t forget to play this entire album while you’re getting ready to go out on Saturday night. Keep Sia’s advice from “Salted Wound” in mind: “give your heart, and say ‘come take it.’”

Alina Zerpa

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...