Spending V-Day solo

Valentine’s Day can seem like a trap for the single person, but it doesn’t have to isolate singles. Here are some ways to celebrate your solitude and share time with your loved ones.

Be Adventurous

Not being in a relationship doesn’t mean life is boring. This is the best time to get out and find an adventurous side. Grab a group of single friends and go to Blue Mountain Outdoor Center, which offers activities such as mountain biking, stand-up paddle-boarding and kayaking. It’s a beautiful way to spend time with friends in the great outdoors. 3400 NE 163rd St., North Miami Beach, Fla. 33160.

If that’s not up to speed, try taking the adventure to SkyZone – an indoor trampoline park. Thrill-seekers will love bouncing, jumping and playing dodge ball with friends. Skip the butterflies in your tummy on a date, and go for the adrenaline rush. 5450 Northwest 82nd Ave., Miami, Fla. 33166.

Be Sappy

Indulge in the Valentine’s spirit with friends. Stop joking about having that movie marathon. Just do it. Although having a variety of genres will entertain a wider audience, it’s the perfect time to bust out all of the best romantic comedies. Richard Curtis, the screenwriter behind many of the best British rom-coms, is a safe choice with “About Time,” “Love Actually” and “Bridget Jones’s Diary.” Bust out the tissues and settle into some classic romantic movies: “Titanic,” “The Notebook” and “Roman Holiday.” These movies are sure to cause a few sniffles, but it’s okay – you’re with your friends and they’re not judging you.

Be a gal-pal

Take a page from the NBC’s hit comedy “Parks and Recreation” book and celebrate Galentine’s Day. Protagonist Leslie Knope knows it’s important to celebrate the fantastic women in life. (“Ovaries before brovaries,” right, ladies?) Though the characters celebrate the holiday on Feb. 13, feel free to celebrate Galentine’s Day on Feb. 14 with a hearty brunch at Greenstreet Cafe in the Grove. Trade Knope’s passion for waffles for a cinnamon roll pancake, and relax with a few gal pals. It’s a twist on a typical girl’s night out, which reinforces the strength of love between friends and makes everyone feel happy instead of alone. 3468 Main Highway, Coconut Grove, Fla. 33133.

Sirisha Gaddipati

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...