Baseball, Sports

Hurricanes’ Media Day fuels optimism

With a crowd of reporters huddled around pitcher Andrew Suarez, outfielder Willie Abreu pointed his bat-turned-recorder near the mouth of the pitcher to get his own sound bite.

Suarez spoke into the Gatorade cup that topped Abreu’s bat and answered a question about his team’s potent offense: “I actually love facing this lineup, especially Willie.”

The jokes and smiles at the University of Miami baseball team’s annual Media Day on Tuesday were indicative of the positivity the team holds as they prepare for the start of their new season Friday night against Rutgers.

Suarez surprisingly turned down more money than any other player in the draft to return for another season. A speedy freshman named Carl Chester excelled in fall practices and David Thompson enjoyed a healthy summer and fall after a scary injury kept him out of 32 games last spring.

“We’re excited about the club. We’ve got a unique combination,” Coach Jim Morris said. “Last year, we had the starting rotation that had been together. This year, we’ve got more position players back, so I expect to score more runs. There’s a different baseball, too, and that should be fun, because I think baseball was meant to score a few runs, not to be 1-0 every game, so I’m very excited about it.”

The new baseball with lower seams is expected to boost offense in its first season of use. The new ball and an enhanced lineup that includes National Freshman of the Year Zack Collins means expectations are high for Hurricanes offense.

“The strength of our offense is our power. We’ve got some guys who can hit the ball out of the ballpark so, with the middle of the lineup, just one swing of the bat you can score more runs,” said Hitting Coach Gino DiMare. “You don’t have to work so hard to get a run now, so I think that can help us and benefit us especially with the new baseball.”

The returns of the injured Thompson and drafted Suarez were two of the most fortunate things on Tuesday.

“Me and Andy have played together since we were nine years old, so it’s been fun to grow up with him and play with him and against him my whole life,” Thompson said.

The team’s goal is clear – to make the College World Series in Omaha. They’ve even taken to shouting “Omaha” as a sort of rallying call.

“We do say Omaha a lot,” Collins said. “We haven’t been there since 2008 and it’s pretty much our main goal, all the fans want to see that.”

William Riggin

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...