Basketball, Sports

Demon Deacons look to be winnable test for Hurricanes

The University of Miami men’s basketball team is heading to Winston-Salem, North Carolina this Wednesday at 7 p.m. for a key ACC road game for their tournament resume. They are taking on the Wake Forest Demon Deacons.

The Hurricanes (15-8, 5-5 ACC) garnered a much-needed win for their tournament hopes last Sunday evening with a victory over Clemson, now finding themselves one of the “last four in,” part of ESPN Joe Lundardi’s Bracketology.

“We need to win this game. And after that, we need to win the next game,” said head coach Jim Larrañaga on Monday.

The Hurricanes are running out of time to build a tournament-worthy resume, yet they have some interesting components.

Miami has an enormous win against Duke on the road, but has also lost to ACC bottom-dweller Georgia Tech and a menagerie of subpar opponents.

Miami’s strength of schedule (48) and RPI (54) are middling. A loss to the Demon Deacons could burst Miami’s bubble.

Meanwhile, Wake Forest (11-13, 3-8 ACC) presents an interesting but winnable test for the Hurricanes. Wake Forest guard Madison Jones leads the ACC in assist-to-turnover ratio, and junior guard Codi Miller-McIntyre is 11th in the league in points per game. The Demon Deacons are just 2-5 in their last seven games.

Junior guard and leading scorer Sheldon McClellan is hitting more than 51 percent of his field goal attempts, a mark that is the top shooting percentage for a guard in Power Five conferences. On Sunday, McClellan scored 19 points on 6-8 shooting against Clemson.

Mark Poulose

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...