Football, Sports

Five Canes football players named All-ACC Academic

Five players from the Miami Hurricanes football team were selected for the 2014 All-ACC Academic Football Team announced Wednesday. Players were selected from a pool of 128 eligible ACC student-athletes nominated by their schools.

A student-athlete must have earned a 3.00 grade point average for the previous semester and maintained a 3.00 cumulative average during his academic career to be eligible.

Nantambu-Akil FentressNantambu Akil-Fentress

Fourth on the team in tackles this past season with 55.

Nominated for the Burlsworth Trophy – an award given to the nation’s top player, who began his career as a walk-on.

Senior Akil-Fentress majored in Biology.

Braxton BerriosBraxton Berrios

Began his 2014 rookie season finishing sixth on the team in receptions with 21.

He also tallied 232 yards receiving and three touchdowns.

Anthony ChickilloAnthony Chickillo

Ended his senior season with 41 total tackles, 3.0 sacks and 4.5 tackles for loss.

He majored in Sport Administration.

Calvin HeurtelouCalvin Heurtelou

Started in 12 of the Canes’ 13 games in 2014.

He tallied 25 tackles and recorded 1.0 tackle for loss and is currently a junior majoring in Liberal Arts.

Justin Vogel Mug

Justin Vogel

As a sophomore he established himself as one of the top punters in the country.

Averaged 42.8 yards per punt and dropped 21 punts inside the 20-yard line.

Vogel was selected as a Ray Guy Award Semifinalist.

Courtney Fiorini

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...