Football, Sports

Five Canes football players named All-ACC Academic

Five players from the Miami Hurricanes football team were selected for the 2014 All-ACC Academic Football Team announced Wednesday. Players were selected from a pool of 128 eligible ACC student-athletes nominated by their schools.

A student-athlete must have earned a 3.00 grade point average for the previous semester and maintained a 3.00 cumulative average during his academic career to be eligible.

Nantambu-Akil FentressNantambu Akil-Fentress

Fourth on the team in tackles this past season with 55.

Nominated for the Burlsworth Trophy – an award given to the nation’s top player, who began his career as a walk-on.

Senior Akil-Fentress majored in Biology.

Braxton BerriosBraxton Berrios

Began his 2014 rookie season finishing sixth on the team in receptions with 21.

He also tallied 232 yards receiving and three touchdowns.

Anthony ChickilloAnthony Chickillo

Ended his senior season with 41 total tackles, 3.0 sacks and 4.5 tackles for loss.

He majored in Sport Administration.

Calvin HeurtelouCalvin Heurtelou

Started in 12 of the Canes’ 13 games in 2014.

He tallied 25 tackles and recorded 1.0 tackle for loss and is currently a junior majoring in Liberal Arts.

Justin Vogel Mug

Justin Vogel

As a sophomore he established himself as one of the top punters in the country.

Averaged 42.8 yards per punt and dropped 21 punts inside the 20-yard line.

Vogel was selected as a Ray Guy Award Semifinalist.

Courtney Fiorini

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

University leaders from the Americas explore creating a Hemispheric University Consortium to work to ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...