Greek Life, News

Administrators address unauthorized ‘Pike’ fraternity activity

The University of Miami Division of Student Affairs sent an email to students Thursday regarding Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity (Pike)’s unauthorized activity.

UM’s Gamma Omega chapter was suspended in 2012 by Pike’s national headquarters due to “violations of university and fraternity risk awareness policies.” According to the message, the university has received reports that students previously associated with the fraternity have continued to operate as an organization under the name “Pike” despite suspension.

SEE ALSO: Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity suspended from campus

“Students have communicated that they are displeased, upset, and fed up with this small group of students who demonstrate an apparent disregard for rules with which all recognized student organizations comply,” the email said.

The letter is signed by Vice President for Student Affairs Pat Whitely, Dean of Students Ricardo Hall and Director of Greek Life Steven Priepke.

“Allegations have included vandalism, disorderly conduct, unsupervised off campus parties, underage alcohol consumption, and hazing,” the email added. “There also have been alleged instances of other serious misconduct at off campus parties that have reportedly been hosted by ‘Pike.'”

The email also stated that the house built on San Amaro Drive belongs to Pike’s national headquarters and is not owned or supervised by the university. There was no mention on which group will be living in the house.

SEE ALSO: Pike house construction continues despite suspension

The administrators were explicit, saying that those who associated with the “underground” fraternity will not be accepted as official Greek Life members at UM.

“Male students who ‘rush’ or ‘pledge’ Pike are doing so outside of UM’s Office of Greek Life and their ‘membership’ will never be recognized by UM,” administrators wrote. “Those students will also never participate in any recognized program or activity in conjunction or partnership with any of UM’s fraternities or sororities.”

Pike was slated to return to campus in 2017, but in an article published by The Miami Hurricane, Hall said that the university has final say on whether or not the fraternity will return.

SEE ALSO: Pike fraternity may jeopardize chance of returning in 2017

“That return date is by no means set in stone and will certainly not be dictated by Pi Kappa Alpha,” he said. “So, if there is a belief by the university, or proof that Pike has continued to operate, they may never return to campus.”

To read the full letter, visit sarc.miami.edu/e-newsletters/student-affairs/message/February_2015.htm.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Administrators address unauthorized ‘Pike’ fraternity activity”

1. Stetson Glines says:

I’m not sure how the U can prohibit members of PKA from seeing or partying with each other off campus- This freedom of assembly is not something the U can easily or reasonably expect it demand!

I too wonder who will occupy the new PIKe house, when it’s finished and wider if the U is determined to get rid of PKA and other frat houses to supplement its land needs and clean up what it perceives to be an image and liability problem at the same time-

I understand that Fraternities are not as popular as they once were and that UM considers itself a serious institution of higher learning but as an alumni and Fraternity member, I can assure readers that my association and that of my fellow brothers provided many memorable and beneficialexperiences and a lifelong connection to those brothers, support of our house, which remains on campus and to the U, where I voluteer to this day-

I hope that PKA and the Adminsitration can reasonably resolve these issues as I believe PIKe can bring a positive contribution to the U!

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...