Edge, Theater

Ring Theatre director retires

Henry Fonte // Courtesy University of Miami

In a memorandum sent to the Department of Theatre Arts, Professor Henry Fonte announced that he stepped down from his roles as the Producing Artistic Director of the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre and director of Conservatory Programs Wednesday.

After serving for five seasons at the Ring, Fonte will retire at the end of the spring 2015 semester to pursue independent projects.

During Fonte’s time at the university, Theatre Arts established significant collaborations with the Adrienne Arsht Center, FundArte and the Tectonic Theatre Project in producing “Carmen: an Afro-Cuban musical.”

Additionally, Fonte oversaw the modernization of the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre operations and expanded UM’s Guest Artists Program, which brings artists to work alongside students in productions.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...