Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: “Fashion Crimes Committed on Campus”

letter to the editorI was disappointed in the “Fashion Crimes Committed on Campus” article in the Feb. 2 edition of the Miami Hurricane. I can tell that the author/illustrator tried to include some diversity among the culprits of these fashion crimes, but how about, ya know, some men? Women aren’t the only students who come to school underdressed, showing skin, etc. etc.

Although I’m sure it wasn’t Ms. Zerpa’s intention, but this type of scrutiny being applied solely to women contributes to the pervasive, harmful message that a young woman’s value as a person comes down to her appearance, while men are judged as complex individuals. Girls are under enormous pressure to convey a multitude of different messages to various people (guys, friends, professors, etc.) and are also given various conflicting advice from the media on how to achieve this.

Understandably, mistakes are sometimes made. Perhaps next time a better format would be “Tips for Dressing to Impress” instead of this more slut-shamey style of article.

Julie Brown is a graduate student at RSMAS.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...