Campus Life, Community, News, Science and Technology

FindMyClass app guides users to class

Getting lost on campus may now be a thing of the past. FindMyClass, a campus navigation app, added the University of Miami to its database, giving users guided directions to buildings on the Coral Gables campus.

Developed by brothers Michael and Ryan Schmidt, alumni of the University of South Florida, the app was inspired by one too many occasions of getting lost.

“I’m personally horrible with directions, and I would get lost on campus,” Michael said over the phone. “You’d be surprised how often you have TA hours in a new building or a new location or somewhere you’re not familiar with.”

Upon downloading the app, users can search for their college or university and access an interactive map of the school’s buildings, restaurants and parking garages. A colored line will appear and guide users to their desired destinations.

“For people who aren’t used to being on a college campus, the app could be very helpful, especially for freshmen,” sophomore Eric Koeller said.

UM has its own app with a map, but it does not provide directions. Both apps require use of location data.

“I know that the school might use my location, but I don’t know how FindMyClass will use my location or my other private settings,” freshman Lazaro Del Pino said. “I feel safer using UM’s official app.”

Freshman Jamie Herman, however, prefers the idea behind FindMyClass due to its direction-giving functionality.

“There’ve been buildings where I don’t know where they are and I’d look on the UM app, but then I’d have to pull up Google Maps if I needed step-by-step directions,” she said. “If the app combines those two, I’d definitely use it.”

Users may report if the app incorrectly states a building’s location, and the Schmidt brothers would work to fix the error.

The app allows three free searches to academic buildings. Once the free searches are used, users can buy three additional searches for 99 cents or unlimited searches for $1.99. The app also lets users earn searches by taking surveys.  Restaurants and parking garages can be searched an unlimited amount of times.

“The app was built by students for students,” Michael said. “We’re hoping that people will download it, take it for a test run and think it’s worthy of the 99 cents or $1.99.”

The FindMyClass app is available for both Android and iOS devices.

Sherman Hewitt

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...