Athletics, Sports

Two-round tie broken with Canes victory

Courtesy HurricaneSports

Courtesy HurricaneSports

After two rounds of play, the University of Miami and the University of South Florida women’s golf teams competed in a one-hole playoff to decide the Florida Challenge on Monday.

The Hurricanes staked their claim as the best in the state of Florida by winning the competition (their first of the spring season) at Black Diamond Golf and Country Club in Orlando, Fla.

The teams were tied with a score of 593 before the one-hole playoff. The University of Florida, Florida State University and Florida International University rounded out the final places in that order.

The win showed off the team’s individual depth, as Daniela Darquea, Leticia Ras-Anderica and Delfina Acosta each finished with a final score of 148, good enough to finish tied for fifth individually.

Sophomores Darquea and Acosta both came to UM as the No. 1-ranked amateur women golfers in their home countries of Ecuador and Argentina, respectively. Both achieved All-ACC Academic honors and Darquea became UM’s first All-American selection since 1994. Ras-Anderica, a senior from Spain, was an All-ACC selection as a sophomore and received All-ACC academic honors as a junior.

“I’m really proud of our team,” said Head Coach Patti Rizzo. “They really hung in there today with some tough conditions. I think this is a group that is really starting to believe in themselves, which is great to see.”

Darquea topped the individual leader board after one round with a score of 70, while Acosta had the second-most birdies in the competition. Ras-Anderica tied for the tournament lead with 25 pars.

The Hurricanes look to make an NCAA Regional tournament for the third straight season after making the West Regional in 2013 and the Central Regional in 2014. After a slight decline in the late ’90s and early 2000s, Rizzo has the team on an upward trend towards making noise in the national tournament again – their last national championship came in 1984.

The team plays five more competitions before the ACC Championship in April. Their next game will be Sunday, Feb. 8 in the UCF Challenge in Orlando.

William Riggin

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...