News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: More financial aid, vegetarian food, lighted gliders

With the new semester under way, Student Government (SG) Senate is already passing bills and beginning discussions on how to make the most out of the University of Miami for students.

Here is a list of five important points brought up at last Wednesday’s Senate meeting.

• Executive Director of Financial Aid Raymond Nault-Hix wants to spread awareness about the increase in available need-based financial aid UM is offering to students. In an effort to support socioeconomic diversity, students can fill out forms by April 15 at the Office of Financial Assistance Services, now located in the second floor of the University Center (UC).
    • To increase vegetarian options on campus, a survey is being put together and sent out to students.
    • Sebastian’s Closet will be collecting professional gear until Jan. 31. The program aims to lend students who do not own a suit from the Toppel Career Center, at no cost. SG will continue collecting suits at different times during the semester.
    • Gliders near Stanford Residential College, Mahoney-Pearson Residential College, the Rock and the Rathskeller will receive funds to cover the installation of lights and charging stations. The goal is to establish a more accommodating outdoor study space at all hours on campus.
    • The Association of Greek Letter Organizations (AGLO) will receive $1,500 of co-sponsorship funding to be used solely for “Greek Week,” in which proceeds will go to United Cerebral Palsy (UCP); this money will not be used for cash prizes. The events during the week are free and open to all students.

Assistant News Editor Alina Zerpa attends Senate meetings every Wednesday and will report on SG happenings in the Senate Recap each week.

Alina Zerpa

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...