Edge, Q & A + Profiles

Producer stresses media experience

Courtesy Flourish Klink

Courtesy Flourish Klink

Flourish Klink is a writer, producer and self-proclaimed fangirl who is now working as a transmedia producer and writer for the Hulu original series “East Los High.” On Thursday, she spoke with students at the School of Communication about her work in the transmedia field, which she described as storytelling “across multiple delivery channels” where, ideally, “each medium makes its own unique contribution to the unfolding of the story.”

“East Los High” was created with the motive of exploring the range of possible Latino characters stepping away from the traditional house maid, gardener and gangster roles.

Klink graduated from Reed College with a Bachelor of Arts in Religion, then from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) with a master’s degree in Comparative Media Studies.

She now invests most of her time in “East Los High,” but she spends some of her free time giving lectures at MIT in transmedia, storytelling, fan culture and media studies. In an interview with The Miami Hurricane, Klink described how she started working in transmedia. She offered advice for students looking to go into the field.

The Miami Hurricane (TMH): How did you get started as a transmedia producer?

Flourish Klink: I had no idea what this was, and I didn’t have any intention of going into the media industry. I ended up in grad school at MIT through weird connections and coincidences. I had no idea what I was doing. It sort of fell into my lap, and there I was in comparative media studies. That’s where I met my business partners, and they were working in transmedia and they needed a fan specialist who knew about fan culture, and so I was like, ‘great, I can be a professional fan.’ And so that sort of turned into transmedia producing.

TMH: What is your favorite aspect of your career?

FK: I get to do basically everything. And because I’m not working for, like, ABC or whatever, I don’t have to go into an office everyday. I have work that I have to complete and it’s very project-based and it’s always different. So, like sometimes there’s the social media and sometimes there’s the website and sometimes I’m on set directing someone. It’s sort of a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none thing. It’s really fun.

TMH: What advice do you have for students who want to get into this field?

Flourish Klink: I think my major advice is to work. Work. Work. Work. Work. It’s really important that you get a good educational foundation, but fundamentally, for working in television, it’s jobs. You really have to hustle, and you have to take anything that’s offered and you have to work your way up there. So if you’re not already producing something right now, then produce it. Make some student films. Create a reel that you can show someone. Create some writing. Get a portfolio going, and as soon as you can, get staffed on anything that will take you at any job and work your way up as best you can.

Andrea Cespedes

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...