Sports, Swimming/Diving

Four-team swim meet a success

Courtesy HurricaneSports

Courtesy HurricaneSports

The Miami Hurricanes swimming and diving team won its third head-to-head event this weekend in Blacksburg, Virginia at the Christiansburg Aquatic Center.

This four-team meet hosted by Virginia Tech provided Miami with a win over UNC-Wilmington with a score of 208-88;  however, the Canes came close to topping Georgia Tech, only missing them by three points with a score of 148-151.

The Hokies emerged victorious by topping all three visiting teams, giving them a good home win.

Sophomore Cameron Davis opened the meet with great form, capturing first place in the 1000-yard freestyle and topping Virginia Tech’s Laura Schwartz by nearly eight seconds with a time of (10:25.63).

In the 1-meter, Miami dominated, taking three of the top four spots. Seniors Thea Vock and Cheyenne Cousineau teamed up with Wally Layland to earn respective scores of (316.75), (295.35) and (285.10).

Vock followed up her second-place finish with top honors in the 3-meter, while senior Heather Arseth took her second top finish of the day in the 100 freestyle with a time of 52.14, just barely catching Adriana Grabski of Virginia Tech with a time of 52.17.

Another noteworthy performance in the 1-meter was delivered by freshman Briadam Herrera, who set a new pool record and took first with a score of 396.20.

Concluding the meet, Arseth, senior Amy Wiley, freshman Julie Suarez and freshman Rebeka Repman captured third place in the 400 free relay entry.

Hurricanes return to the pool for a dual meet at noon on Jan. 31 for Senior Day to face FIU.

Max Sanchez

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...