Sports, Swimming/Diving

Four-team swim meet a success

Courtesy HurricaneSports

Courtesy HurricaneSports

The Miami Hurricanes swimming and diving team won its third head-to-head event this weekend in Blacksburg, Virginia at the Christiansburg Aquatic Center.

This four-team meet hosted by Virginia Tech provided Miami with a win over UNC-Wilmington with a score of 208-88;  however, the Canes came close to topping Georgia Tech, only missing them by three points with a score of 148-151.

The Hokies emerged victorious by topping all three visiting teams, giving them a good home win.

Sophomore Cameron Davis opened the meet with great form, capturing first place in the 1000-yard freestyle and topping Virginia Tech’s Laura Schwartz by nearly eight seconds with a time of (10:25.63).

In the 1-meter, Miami dominated, taking three of the top four spots. Seniors Thea Vock and Cheyenne Cousineau teamed up with Wally Layland to earn respective scores of (316.75), (295.35) and (285.10).

Vock followed up her second-place finish with top honors in the 3-meter, while senior Heather Arseth took her second top finish of the day in the 100 freestyle with a time of 52.14, just barely catching Adriana Grabski of Virginia Tech with a time of 52.17.

Another noteworthy performance in the 1-meter was delivered by freshman Briadam Herrera, who set a new pool record and took first with a score of 396.20.

Concluding the meet, Arseth, senior Amy Wiley, freshman Julie Suarez and freshman Rebeka Repman captured third place in the 400 free relay entry.

Hurricanes return to the pool for a dual meet at noon on Jan. 31 for Senior Day to face FIU.

Max Sanchez

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...