Community, Edge, Reviews

Comedian Seth Meyers keeps it real, surprises audience

Seth Meyers // Courtesy Ticketmaster

Seth Meyers // Courtesy Ticketmaster

Comedian Seth Meyers’ stand-up routine combines all his roles as joke-writer, sketch-comedy veteran and “Jewish enough” to make for a memorable show.

Meyers (who is always perceived as Jewish but isn’t) performed Friday at the Fillmore Miami Beach at the Jackie Gleason Theater as part of a promotional event presented by Citi. The long-time head writer of Saturday Night Live and host of NBC’s “Late Night with Seth Meyers” got candid about standard comedy areas like politics, sports and marriage.

Aside from his indelible charisma, Meyers has developed a unique comedic voice from his time on Weekend Update. His idiosyncratic take on important issues like President Obama’s recent State of the Union address felt akin to his SNL days, which is always appreciated by long-time fans and newcomers alike.

His bout as a late-night talk show host also influenced the show. Meyers shines when he draws inspiration from his everyday life to fuel his jokes.

Most notably, he spent a great deal of time talking about his recent marriage. For example, he reverses a clothes hanger before his “OCD wife” comes home just so her “Spidey-sense” to fix something is fulfilled.

These kinds of segments created a connection with the audience that was palpable. Whether you are a news junkie or Patriots football fan, you’re guaranteed a laugh during a Meyers show.

Meyers ended with the evening’s biggest surprise: censored jokes that never broadcast on Weekend Update. I find it hard to believe that NBC had a problem with poking fun at an armless man in Germany robbing a store or a “Tyra Banks Show” episode about a woman with two vaginas.

And while Meyers has a tendency to play it safe (in comparison to comedy rebels like Bo Burnham), his charm and wit are enough of a reason to see him outside the confines of 30 Rockefeller Plaza.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...