Community, Edge, Reviews

Comedian Seth Meyers keeps it real, surprises audience

Seth Meyers // Courtesy Ticketmaster

Seth Meyers // Courtesy Ticketmaster

Comedian Seth Meyers’ stand-up routine combines all his roles as joke-writer, sketch-comedy veteran and “Jewish enough” to make for a memorable show.

Meyers (who is always perceived as Jewish but isn’t) performed Friday at the Fillmore Miami Beach at the Jackie Gleason Theater as part of a promotional event presented by Citi. The long-time head writer of Saturday Night Live and host of NBC’s “Late Night with Seth Meyers” got candid about standard comedy areas like politics, sports and marriage.

Aside from his indelible charisma, Meyers has developed a unique comedic voice from his time on Weekend Update. His idiosyncratic take on important issues like President Obama’s recent State of the Union address felt akin to his SNL days, which is always appreciated by long-time fans and newcomers alike.

His bout as a late-night talk show host also influenced the show. Meyers shines when he draws inspiration from his everyday life to fuel his jokes.

Most notably, he spent a great deal of time talking about his recent marriage. For example, he reverses a clothes hanger before his “OCD wife” comes home just so her “Spidey-sense” to fix something is fulfilled.

These kinds of segments created a connection with the audience that was palpable. Whether you are a news junkie or Patriots football fan, you’re guaranteed a laugh during a Meyers show.

Meyers ended with the evening’s biggest surprise: censored jokes that never broadcast on Weekend Update. I find it hard to believe that NBC had a problem with poking fun at an armless man in Germany robbing a store or a “Tyra Banks Show” episode about a woman with two vaginas.

And while Meyers has a tendency to play it safe (in comparison to comedy rebels like Bo Burnham), his charm and wit are enough of a reason to see him outside the confines of 30 Rockefeller Plaza.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...