Athletics, Football, Sports

BUC sign policies stir discontent while Al Golden controversy leads to larger discussion

Hurricanes football fans have been disappointed with Head Coach Al Golden’s performance for some time. The Miami Hurricane ran a story Thursday about fans’ discontent with Golden, spefically the controversial social media hashtag “FireAlGolden.”

A key player in the midst of these reactions is senior William Herrera. Thursday’s story mentioned an incident at the BankUnited Center (BUC), when signs reading “Fire Al Golden” and “Bring Back Butch” were confiscated from Herrera and his friends during the men’s basketball game against Virginia.

Herrera says that when he questioned why their signs were being taken away, he was told such signs could not be displayed at “our home court.”

“I know a lot of fans who tweet, email and are canceling season tickets and donations. Still, the athletic department ignores it and sweeps it under the rug as if it is a non-issue,” Herrera said. “I chose to bring the signs because I knew the decision makers in athletics would be there, and they should not ignore the fans anymore.”

He says he also brought smaller signs to a game a week later. That day, a BUC employee took his sign from his pocket and later alerted an usher of his location.

Herrera says these interactions garnered media attention when a “very prominent former player” reached out to Herrera via Twitter. He says he was then contacted by the Miami Herald.

“In the days that followed, I realized why people were making a big deal, and I became angry with the fact that they took my sign and not other people’s signs,” he said.

He also mentioned that when he heard that Athletic Director Blake James said that signs were not allowed at the BUC, he became upset.

“Everyone knows that is not true. In fact, earlier this season, there were announcements made at the BUC about the size limits allowed for signs,” he said.

Screenshots from Billy Corben’s Twitter show that the no-sign policy did not show up on the venue’s website until Jan. 14, three days after the signs were confiscated.

The BUC declined to give an official comment on the policy.

The Miami Hurricane also ran an online poll of 398 people asking what fans think is most likely to happen as a result of Golden’s performance.

As of Sunday afternoon, 51 percent (204 votes) believe that it is more likely for Golden to stay as coach, opposed to the 33 percent (131 votes) who believe he will be fired. Twelve percent (47 votes) believe that Golden will be fired and Butch Davis will be brought back, and four percent (16 votes) believe that Golden will stay and Davis will return.

The Miami Hurricane’s article also met several online responses.

“I see the athletic department censors decided to allow a modicum of dissent through,” wrote Reddit user ThaCarter. “Just to be clear though, it was Golden that put Golden on the hot seat. The state of the program is the fault of the administration and coaching staff; blaming the players or fans is just another in the endless run of excuses.”

There were similar responses to The Miami Hurricane’s online post.

“I hope that the same jack-booted thugs that confiscate legitimate signs at basketball games don’t close down this newspaper,” wrote Tony, a WordPress user.

Herrera says that above all else, it boils down to winning.

“He has found a way to do less with more talent,” he said. “It’s okay to be wrong; it’s not okay to be wrong, refuse to admit it and refuse to change. Mr. Golden, this is not personal, we just want to win.”

The Miami Hurricane’s story on Al Golden can be found here.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “BUC sign policies stir discontent while Al Golden controversy leads to larger discussion”

1. Rus says:

Instead of signs, we should make shirts that say #FireAlGolden. They can’t possibly tell us to take off our shirts, can they? And if they do, we’ll just spray paint our chests.

2. Tony says:

The signs of protest, commenting on the football coaching staff, were further legitimized today by an article appearing on miami.cbslocal.com, quoting Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller. Following are a couple of excerpts…

““You look at that talent and then you talk to people and it’s like how did this team win only six games because I thought the Miami guys were some of the best at their position all week [at the Senior Bowl],” Miller said. “I’m not an expert in the college football field but I think you have to point a finger to the head coach, who obviously can recruit but you have to get production out of those athletes.”

“I grew up a Texas fan so I can relate to that — a coach who can recruit like none other but then doesn’t do a great job coaching them up — and so you have to wonder if Miami is in a similar situation with Al Golden of you’re going to get four or five-star kids who end up being better in the NFL than they were in college and that’s kind of what ran Mack Brown out down at Austin.”

Obviously, the incompetence of The Former U’s football “coaching” staff is known nationally. It’s no wonder that those that love our past tradition of excellence are driven to vent their frustration, with those that maintain the status quo.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...