Edge, Movies

Producer of ‘Avatar,’ ‘Titanic’ to speak at Cosford Monday

Photo Courtesy Weekly Wire

Photo Courtesy Weekly Wire

Academy Award winner Jon Landau, producer of the films “Titanic” and “Avatar,” will host a discussion from 1-3 p.m. Monday at University of Miami’s Bill Cosford Cinema.

The master’s class will be moderated by associate professor John Soliday. The event is open to all university students.

Landau visited the university in 2012, according to an article in E-Veritas. He surprised students by bringing his Oscar Award and inviting student to take pictures with it. 

Landau was nominated for an Academy Award in 2010 for “Best Motion Picture of the Year” for “Avatar.” In 1998, he won the “Best Picture” Oscar for “Titanic.”

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...