Edge, Movies

Producer of ‘Avatar,’ ‘Titanic’ to speak at Cosford Monday

Photo Courtesy Weekly Wire

Photo Courtesy Weekly Wire

Academy Award winner Jon Landau, producer of the films “Titanic” and “Avatar,” will host a discussion from 1-3 p.m. Monday at University of Miami’s Bill Cosford Cinema.

The master’s class will be moderated by associate professor John Soliday. The event is open to all university students.

Landau visited the university in 2012, according to an article in E-Veritas. He surprised students by bringing his Oscar Award and inviting student to take pictures with it. 

Landau was nominated for an Academy Award in 2010 for “Best Motion Picture of the Year” for “Avatar.” In 1998, he won the “Best Picture” Oscar for “Titanic.”

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...