Blogs, UBuzz

Frats take over the Rat on Bid Day

Students stand in line to present their IDs before entering the vicinity of the Rathskeller on Friday. Lyssa Goldberg // Online Editor

Students stand in line to present their IDs before entering the vicinity of the Rathskeller Friday. Lyssa Goldberg // Online Editor

Before fraternities head to the UC Patio at 5 p.m. Friday to give out bids and conclude spring 2015 rush, they are celebrating Bid Day at the Rat. And to accommodate the high traffic and high levels of alcohol consumption, the University of Miami Police Department (UMPD) and Rathskeller employees have put in place a new system for the day.

Bid Day is the ceremony at which active fraternity brothers gather to accept new members at the end of rush, the formal recruitment process.

The entire border of the Rathskeller venue has been fenced off, with only one back entrance (and exit) available to students. Students must stand in a line being monitored by Rat employees, who are checking IDs of everyone who walks in. UMPD officers are also on-site.

Students age 21 and over are automatically given a wristband, and students under 21 are marked with a black ‘X’ on their hand.

An employee of the Rathskeller who was giving out wristbands said that this type of setup occurs every year on Bid Day to ensure that any students who are drinking alcohol are at least 21.

This level of security has also been used during Homecoming in the fall as well.

A list of the Rathskeller’s policies, on display at Friday’s temporary entrance, can be seen below.

FullSizeRender (1)

A sign at the Rathskeller explains the sports bar’s policies being strictly enforced Friday. Lyssa Goldberg // Online Editor

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...