Basketball, Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Sports Briefs 1/22

SPORTS_MensTennis_GF

Freshman Piotr Lomacki (front) and Senior Henrique Tsukamoto play doubles during Monday’s match against UCF, held at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Canes lost 3-4. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Men’s Basketball

Miami men’s basketball team will take on NC State at home at 8 p.m. Thursday. The Canes are  7-11 all-time against the Wolfpack, going as far back as the 1939-40 season. NC State won the last matchup with Miami 67-58 in March at Greensboro Coliseum. This season, the Canes are 12-5 overall and 2-2 in the ACC. Head Coach Jim Larrañaga has a 548-375 overall record in his 31st season as a head coach. He is 78-41 in his fourth season as a Cane, with 33-23 in ACC play. For more coverage, go to themiamihurricane.com/section/sports/basketball-sports/.

Track and Field

Sophomore sprinter Shakima Wimbley is honored as ACC Women’s Track Performer of the Week after a strong start to the 2015 season of indoor track and field. Wimbley won the women’s 200 meters with a personal best time of 23.35 seconds that, ranking fourth on Miami’s all-time indoor list and second in the NCAA this season at the Nittany Lion Challenge Saturday in State College, Pa. She also ran in the Canes 4×400 relay win with a time of 3:35.93, the second-fastest time in the country this season. The Canes will be running again on Friday and Saturday this weekend at the Rod McCravy Memorial Meet in Lexington, Ky.

Courtney Fiorini

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...