Edge, Food

Built and Tossed offer affordable custom dining options

Design by Emma Deardorff

Design by Emma Deardorff

Vegetarians and burger enthusiasts can get their fix thanks to two new dining options that allow students to customize their meals to satisfy any taste buds.

Built Custom Burgers dishes up burgers while Tossed serves up salads, and both offer customization that provide a new level of variety – something most college students long for in their dining options. For hungry students with a particular craving or a desire to create their own culinary masterpiece, Built and Tossed are the places to be during the lunchtime rush.

Tossed’s menu includes pre-designed salads like Greek, Asian Chicken and Apple Walnut, as well as the option to “Design Your Own.” Students can choose their preferred greens and pick from an extensive list of add-ins and dressings that includes just about anything one could imagine.

“This is similar to the salad bar at the old food court,” said senior Alyssa Soffer. “I’m happy that I went; it was good. The only place you could get a salad was at Oasis and the old food court, so now this was necessary.”

If salads are not enough to satisfy, Tossed also serves gourmet wraps, artisanal sandwiches, soups and melts.

“I always get a custom salad and throw in whatever I’m in the mood to eat that day,” said freshman Sophie Schummer. “I really love the pesto chicken, and I like adding lots of veggies.”

Tossed’s menu is clearly labeled with many gluten-free, fat-free and vegetarian options, so students with dietary restrictions won’t be at a loss for dining choices.

Like Tossed, Built allows students to get creative with their meals. Students can choose from a beef, chicken, veggie or turkey burger and pick a type of bun, or even opt for a bowl. Then diners can choose from 17 toppings, 12 sauces and four side dishes.

At Built, students really get their money’s worth. The $9.75 combo includes a customized burger, regular-sized fries and a drink.

“Built is really organized and very thought out,” said freshman Alex Malaret. “Not to mention, it’s cheap for what you get and tastes really good. I created what I call the Alex Bowl: it’s a turkey burger on greens – really tasty.”

According to UM Dining Manager Armando S. Cuervo, these two additions, opened in mid-January, are part of the second phase of the Hurricane Food Court renovations that began two years ago.

The first phase opened in the summer of 2014 and included the new Outtakes Convenience Store along with the Corner Deli. During phase two in the fall of 2014, the Hurricane Food Court added Sushi Maki, Innovation Kitchen, Pollo Tropical, Panda Express and Subway.

Jamie Herman

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Built and Tossed offer affordable custom dining options”

1. V says:

“AFFORDABLE” NO.
    Although Built burgers are quite delicious, they happen to be very far from affordable. It actually angers me that The Hurricane had the audacity to title the article with this word.
    The predecessor burger place we had on campus was Wendy’s. That was an affordable option.
    Paying the 9.75 for a combo is more than what I make in an hour in my job here on campus. I know UM has many privileged rich people who would not bat an eye for a burger priced at almost ten dollars. However, the addition of Built and even Tossed actually decreased the food options a student with a college job can safely afford.
    As a commuter student who has to stay on campus from 8am to 8pm because of classes and my job, I am disappointed in UM and Chartwell’s exploitation of students who have to eat on campus.
    Sadly, even the actual affordable options like Subway is exploiting the students. The regular 6″ sandwiches cost $4.50 without tax while in regular off campus subways you can buy the same sandwich for $5 as a footlong and not a 6″.
    For a commuter to eat on a tight budget, they most likely have to do what I somedays have to do and skip lunch or dinner here on campus. Starvation should not have to be an option for a student in UM, but when a student makes minimum wage and still has student loans to pay off a ten dollar just is not affordable for us,

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...