Commentary, Football, Sports

Commentary: Fan criticism clouds successes

Great teams take time to build. A coach cannot snap his fingers and make a team successful. A coach can talk all he wants and call all the right plays, but he cannot execute them. The game is played on the field.

Fans are quick to place blame when the slightest thing goes wrong. It’s easy to look past all the good things when fans focus on the bad.

In reality, there have only been two years when the Canes could have gone to a bowl. Lest we forget, there were two years of bowl bans and scholarships that were taken away with the NCAA investigation.

Despite the controversy, Al Golden still has a winning record with Miami. He is 28-22.

Any coach could have struggled under the pressure of coming into a prominent Division 1 school shrouded in controversy.

Fans took to Twitter to discuss how Miami men’s basketball Coach Jim Larrañaga has done more with less. It’s a shame fans need reminding that basketball is a completely different sport with its own set of obstacles. There are fewer recruits, and teams can bounce back more easily.

Florida is a large recruiting ground. The Canes compete with Florida and FSU, two huge football schools. Even though UF has been struggling, they still are a force to be reckoned with as an SEC school. Everyone knows about FSU’s success on the football field.

Golden is not out of chances. Even with the eight decommitments, there are still strong possibilities. All schools have students who choose another path. This is not abnormal.

It’s not just about recruitment; the talent needs to be developed. A team can have the best players out there but sometimes bad things happen like injuries and suspensions. Kevin Olsen was suspended and subsequently left UM, leaving the ball in freshman Brad Kaaya’s hands.

Let’s not overlook Golden’s successful acquisitions. Under Golden, Duke Johnson was recruited and developed into arguably the best running back in college football. Under Golden, Kaaya was recruited and had a record-breaking freshman season.

The prevailing sentiment among fans is the desire to have The U’s glory days of the ‘80s back. The ‘80s are over and they aren’t coming back. Football has changed. Not everyone can have a dynasty, and building one takes time.

It would be beneficial to set realistic expectations for progress. Do we want to win the National Championship? Of course. Are we close to having a championship team? Absolutely not.

At the end of the day, Al Golden still has his job and the university makes the decisions. Not the fans. Not the talking heads on ESPN. People will complain, but that’s all they can do.

Courtney Fiorini is a senior majoring in broadcast journalism.

Read the counterargument by Max Sanchez here.

Courtney Fiorini

4 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Commentary: Fan criticism clouds successes”

1. Canefan79 says:

AJ, it’s 2015, Courtney can fight her own battles.

So do tell about Tom Anagnost…I wasn’t vouching for him, just using him as an example. Hmm, so what was the real issue with him, AJ? Your patron, Blake James said the following about him when he fired him per the Miami Herald:

James, reached later by phone, said it wasnt one incident that led to the firing and that the teams win-loss record was not a big part of the decision.

“A variety of factors went into the decision, James said. We felt it was better to make the move now rather than move forward with him as the leader. We have been evaluating the situation for some time and just felt in the overall view of the program that we didnt have the right person in that position, so why wait to make the change?”

So which is it, the “real” reason you supposedly “know” or what Blake said? Are you saying Blake James lied? Journalism is supposed to be about uncovering the truth, so why are you supporting a lying AD about Golden if you know he didn’t tell the truth about Anagnost?

Do you think it was just by chance I mentioned Anagnost? Sometimes its best to poke ahead with your bayonet…

2. AJ Ricketts says:

You show your lack of knowledge vouching for Tom Anagnost. Don’t even know the real issue with him. Weak argument. Next.

3. DK72 says:

Back in the kitchen sweet toots. Hopefully you know more about sandwich construction than you do about football.

This whole piece read like something Laz would mash out on his Smith-Corona. Ham fisted and full of straw man arguments.

Bless your heart.

4. CaneFan79 says:

Ah, another journalism major who all of a sudden becomes an expert in coaching…Close observation of a junior high field hockey coach back in the day?

If Golden should be reatained using your logic, than why was Women’s Soccer Coach Tom Anagnost fired by Blake James in 2013? Similar to Golden, he came from the MAC after success at that level. You state Golden has a winning record after FOUR years (certainly plenty of time to snap a LOT of fingers), but Anagnost only got two years to build his W-L record, a WINNING record of 19-15-5. So why should Blake James give Golden THREE more years than Anagost. Next time you stop by his office for your orde, err, to ask his “opinion,” why not ask that question (HINT: Back in the old days, guys like Woodward and Bernstein would do).

Funny, when you click on the link for Max Sanchez’s rebuttal, you get a 404 error. Are the BUC enforcers controlling your html programming too?

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...