Campus Life, News

Memorial, candlelight vigil to be held in honor of exchange student

A memorial for Frederik Westerberg, an exchange student who passed away Dec. 17, will be held at 7 p.m. Monday at Pearson Residential College in Room 139. Following the event, there will be a candlelight vigil at Stanford Residential College.

SEE ALSO: Exchange student passes away, cause of death uncertain

Westerberg, an exchange student from the University of Copenhagen in Denmark, studied molecular biology for one semester at the University of Miami. He lived on Pearson’s seventh floor.

According to Jennifer Rau, assistant to the vice president for student affairs, a police investigation confirmed that Westerberg took his own life.

Speakers at the memorial will include Monsignor Michael Carruthers, who conducted a special mass for the family the Sunday before Christmas at Saint Augustine Church, and Westerberg’s mother, Charlotte Rorth.

In addition, Westerberg’s resident assistant Danny New and Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely will say a few words.

President Donna E. Shalala sent an email to the university community the day after his death, stating that Student Affairs staff has been working to offer support to Westerberg’s friends and family. Counselors will be available during and after the memorial.

Sherman Hewitt

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...