Campus Life, News

Exchange student passes away, cause of death uncertain

Frederik Westerberg, an exchange student from Denmark, passed away Wednesday night, according to an email message President Donna E. Shalala sent the university Thursday afternoon.

According to the email, Westerberg was studying molecular biology for one semester at the University of Miami. He lived in Pearson Residential College and came from the University of Copenhagen.

“He had hopes of one day working in the biotech field and dreamed of making the world a better place through science and medicine,” Shalala wrote.

The cause of death is not known.

Shalala’s email states that the Student Affairs staff is providing support to Westerberg’s family and friends. The Counseling Center and chaplains will be available when students return for the spring semester in January.

“We are always here to support students and will be supporting the family as well in the days ahead,” said Patricia Whitely, vice president for student affairs.

Student Resources:

Counseling Center – 305-284-5511

Dean of Students Office – 305-284-5353

Vice President for Student Affairs Office – 305-284-4922

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...