Campus Life, News

Exchange student passes away, cause of death uncertain

Frederik Westerberg, an exchange student from Denmark, passed away Wednesday night, according to an email message President Donna E. Shalala sent the university Thursday afternoon.

According to the email, Westerberg was studying molecular biology for one semester at the University of Miami. He lived in Pearson Residential College and came from the University of Copenhagen.

“He had hopes of one day working in the biotech field and dreamed of making the world a better place through science and medicine,” Shalala wrote.

The cause of death is not known.

Shalala’s email states that the Student Affairs staff is providing support to Westerberg’s family and friends. The Counseling Center and chaplains will be available when students return for the spring semester in January.

“We are always here to support students and will be supporting the family as well in the days ahead,” said Patricia Whitely, vice president for student affairs.

Student Resources:

Counseling Center – 305-284-5511

Dean of Students Office – 305-284-5353

Vice President for Student Affairs Office – 305-284-4922

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterlie Achille involved herself in many activitie ...