Blogs, UBuzz

Shalala: ‘Racism is everyone’s problem’

Following a “study-in” demonstration held at Richter Library Wednesday during finals week, UM President Donna E. Shalala sent out a university-wide Dialogue email about racism Friday morning.

In her email to the UM community, Shalala wrote the following:

“Racism is everyone’s problem. Right now, as a nation and as a campus community, we must face this painful and divisive issue with openness, courage, and deep respect for our differences. We want to get this right. That means there’s no room for hate or intolerance.”

Wednesday’s demonstration was held in response to racist comments that were posted on social media after the Black Lives Matter rally held on campus Dec. 3.

SEE ALSO: Black Lives Matter protest sparks conversation about on-campus racism

Shalala attended the “study-in” demonstration herself to show her support. She said she believes that Black lives matter, agrees with the student protesters, and wants to show them that the university is supportive.

For a full report on the event from UMTV, check out Nick Swyter’s video below.

Study-In Demonstration at Richter Library from UMTV School of Communication on Vimeo.

Shalala concluded her email with the following message:

“My wish to you in this precious holiday season is to cultivate an open mind and heart, to nurture respect and tolerance, and to live in harmony with and consideration of others.”

The full Dialogue email can be seen below.

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 2.25.35 PM

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...