News Briefs 12/8

Edna C. Shalala 5K Run/Walk

In honor of University President Donna E. Shalala’s mother, Edna C. Shalala, who passed away this month at the age of 103, a 5K Run/Walk to benefit the Edna C. Shalala Foundation will be held Saturday. The foundation supports the university’s women’s athletics teams. The inaugural 5K will begin at 10 a.m., starting and finishing at the Bank United Center. It will make its way through the baseball, soccer and football practice fields as well as the Hecht Athletic Center and campus landmarks like the Richter Library, Lake Osceola and the Student Activities Center. Head coaches, members of women’s athletics teams, the marching band and Sebastian the Ibis will be present to cheer on contestants making their way to the finish line, and a celebratory tailgate will follow. All participants will receive a T-shirt and a medal. To register, visit miami5k.com.

Clinton Global Initiative University Volunteers

The eighth annual Clinton Global Initiative University (CGIU), hosted by President Clinton and Chelsea Clinton needs volunteers to serve in the event’s success from March 6-8, 2015. The event, being held on the University of Miami campus, brings together students leaders and entrepreneurs to address international challenges. To do so, more than 150 student volunteers are needed for a variety of roles, from logistics and production to photographers and press. In addition to working the event, volunteers are also required to attend a training session. To apply, visit miami.edu/cgiu. The deadline to apply to be a volunteer is Dec. 15.

Directed Independent Language Study 

A program aimed to help students learn languages not taught at the University of Miami, the Directed Independent Language Study (DILS) pairs students with a native speaker, the “Language Partner” who will practice the language with them for hands-on learning through dialogues and role play. Examples of languages taught in the program are Catalan, Dutch, Korean, Swahili, Turkish, Russian and Swedish. DILS is free and the language study is noted on the students’ transcript. The application deadline for the spring semester is Monday. To apply, visit as.miami.edu/dils.

Puppies on the Green

With final exams beginning Thursday, students can enjoy the calm before the storm with study breaks in the days before finals commence. To take a break from the books, you can de-stress by playing with puppies. The University of Miami Pre-Vet society will be hosting Puppies on the Green from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday on the Green. One By One Dog Rescue, Inc. will have puppies available for adoption on the green. Students are welcome to play with the dogs and even take one home after adopting.

UAID Symposium 

The UAID symposium, being held at the University of Miami in the spring, will feature speakers and activities speaking on how to fight health inequalities. Held Jan. 16-18, it will allow for networking with experts and colleagues from around the country. There will also be interactive sessions, health inequities case studies and an epidemic simulation. To register, visit uaid.org/symposium. Registration ends Dec. 15.

Emily Dabau may be contacted at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...