Sports, Volleyball

Canes volleyball to open NCAA tournament in match against UCF

Next three rounds for the Canes in the NCAA Tournament.

Next three rounds for the Canes in the NCAA Tournament. // Graphic by Sarbani Ghosh

The Hurricanes volleyball team opens at the 2014 NCAA Division I Women’s Volleyball Tournament against UCF Friday.

Miami finished the season 21-8 overall and 14-4 in the ACC, tied for third in the conference.

They are one of 64 teams in the tournament and will be one of four teams in the Gainesville part of the Ames Regional, joining No. 8 Florida, UCF and Alabama State.

The Canes will be led by this year’s ACC Player of the Year Savanah Leaf, First Team All-ACC selection Emani Sims and ACC Freshman of the Year Haley Templeton.

Miami has now earned a spot in the NCAA Tournament for the second straight year under head coach Jose “Keno” Gandara. They have earned a spot six consecutive years and seven times in program history.

Miami’s best postseason run occurred in 2002 when the Canes made it to the Sweet 16 before falling to Nebraska. Last season, they lost the first round match against Oregon in three sets.

The Canes will take on UCF at 4:30 p.m. Friday in the first round match. The winner will advance to play the winner of the match between No. 8 Florida and Alabama State.

For the full tournament bracket, visit ACC.com.

Courtney Fiorini

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...