News, Student Organization

Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honor society celebrates 100th anniversary

University of Miami women's basketball Coach Katie Meier signs the ODK initiation roll book. // Courtesy UMiami ODK

University of Miami women’s basketball Coach Katie Meier signs the ODK initiation roll book. // Courtesy UMiami ODK

Omicron Delta Kappa (ODK), a national leadership honor society for college students, faculty, staff, administrators and alumni, is celebrating its 100th anniversary Wednesday. During the celebration, ODK will be honoring new members at an initiation and centennial celebration.

The Dec. 3 date was selected for the event because ODK was founded on Dec. 3, 1914 at Washington and Lee University.

Each year, new members are inducted into the society during tapping ceremonies around campus, marked by the ringing of the ODK bell as new members are tapped.

Members of UM’s ODK chapter range from President Donna E. Shalala and Dr. Pat Whitley to newly tapped juniors and seniors. This year’s class includes women’s basketball coach Katie Meier.

Meier is in her tenth year as head coach at UM and has received multiple awards for her leadership and dedication, including being named Associated Press National Coach of the Year in 2011 and being recognized as co-recipient of the 2013 USA Basketball National Coach of the Year award.

The society recognizes achievement in five areas: scholarship; athletics; campus/community service, social/religious activities, and campus government; journalism, speech and the mass media; and creative and performing arts. It brings together leaders on campus exhibiting high standards in all sectors of collegiate life.

“Leadership is helping others achieve a common goal through empowerment, ethical decision making and determination,” said Nicole Garcia, president of the chapter. “It’s a reflective process that requires a clear vision, creativity, transparency and a great sense of humor.”

Senior Geisy Sanz was humbled when inducted as a class of 2014 tappee.

“I’ve been involved in student life for most of college, but I’m not the typical super outgoing leader,” Sanz said. “I kind of just do my own thing, so it was very humbling to see my efforts recognized and supported by so many.”

This year, Garcia has focused on making headway with celebrating the tradition and longevity of Omicron Delta Kappa during its anniversary.

“It’s been important to engage with campus and recognize the incredible leaders that make an impact on our campus every day,” she said. “I think this year we’ve been successful in that, having doubled our new member nominations, increased our social media presence and started new traditions for our circle.”

Omicron Delta Kappa headquarters selected the University of Miami chapter to host the ODK Drive-In meeting in February. This event allows members to network with students, faculty and alumni.

Brianna Hernandez

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...