Football, Sports

Brad Kaaya named ACC Rookie of the Year

Brad Kaaya | Courtesy Hurricane Sports

Kaaya // Courtesy HurricaneSports

Brad Kaaya was announced as the ACC Rookie of the Year Tuesday afternoon, joining 12 Hurricane teammates who have received All-ACC Honors this week.

Kaaya, who ranks second in the ACC in passing yards, is the third Hurricane in program history to receive the award. Duke Johnson earned it in 2012, and Sean Spence in 2008.

Twenty-two of the 55 members of the Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association (ACSMA) selected Kaaya for the award. Kaaya quickly proved himself at the collegiate level, breaking single-game passing records in back-to-back games early in the season, throwing for 342 yards against Arkansas State, then breaking that mark a week later with 359 yards against Nebraska.

In fact, some of Kaaya’s numbers this season compare with Hurricane greats – his 25 touchdown passes this season tie him with Bernie Kosar and Ken Dorsey for the fourth most touchdown passes in a single season at Miami.

Miami is currently awaiting its bowl destination; two possible games include the Independence Bowl in Shreveport and the Bitcoin Bowl in St. Petersburg.​

AJ Ricketts

Lester Williams wasn’t on the field playing for the Miami Hurricanes when they won their first natio ...

An extremely frustrated University of Miami football coach Mark Richt began his media availability b ...