Athletics, Football, Sports, Volleyball

Student athletes honored for talent in volleyball, football

Clive Walford

Senior tight end Clive Walford was selected as one of eight semifinalists for the John Mackey Award. The John Mackey Award annually recognizes the most outstanding collegiate tight end. Walford leads Miami pass-catchers with 33 receptions and ranks second on the team with 522 receiving yards this season. Walford would become the second winner of this award in Miami history. Kellen Winslow II was the last Cane to win in 2003.

Savanah Leaf

Canes volleyball outside hitter Savanah Leaf is a finalist for the Senior CLASS Award. The award honors NCAA Division I senior student athletes in areas of community, classroom, character and competition. Winners are determined by college coaches in their respective sports, national media and fans. In addition to this honor, Leaf has been recognized as ACC Player of the week three times this season.

Duke Johnson

Junior running back Duke Johnson was selected as one of 10 semifinalists for the 2014 Doak Walker Award. The Doak Walker Award was created in 1989 to recognize the nation’s premier running back for accomplishments on the field, in the classroom and in the community. He was also placed on the 15-player Watch List for the Walter Camp Football Foundation Player of Year Award.

Justin Vogel

Sophomore punter Justin Vogel was selected as one of 10 semifinalists for the 2014 Ray Guy Award by the Augusta Sports Council. Athletes are evaluated on their statistics and contribution to the team. Vogel is averaging 44.5 yards per punt and 62.2 yards on kickoffs this season. Vogel leads the nation with 52.6 percent of his punts landing inside the 20-yard line.

Courtney Fiorini

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...