Florida State tragedy reinforces humanity in the face of adversity

A recent editorial by The Miami Hurricane encouraged students to temper their attitudes toward FSU by keeping in mind the old adage that it’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

Now, someone has.

Three people, in fact, were injured last night at the FSU Strozier Library by a lone gunman quickly shot down by the police. This incident is in no way linked with the competition between UM and FSU, but it should remind us that this rivalry, often breaking out red and itchy like a rash, only really runs skin deep.

Whatever lingering knee-jerk resistance you may feel toward the acronym “FSU,” put it aside, and put yourself in the shoes of the students at the Strozier Library who were wrenched from their books and their notes by the words, “Someone has a gun.”

It’s not hard to picture, is it? That this event occurred on a campus with a gun-free policy, with security described by the campus police chief as “not lacking,” reinforces the notion that such tragedies can happen anywhere.

No, you shouldn’t live your life in fear of random violence. But convince yourself that you’re immune, and you’ll risk distancing yourself from the empathy and understanding that connect human beings when they recognize their own similarities.

Panicking, running out doors, barricading stairwells, FSU students were forced to rely on primary survival instincts to which it is each of our fervent hopes we will never have to resort. The least we can do is to exercise, in solidarity, another such basic human response: compassion.

Because today, we are not rivals. Today, we remember that underneath the orange and green, underneath the garnet and gold, under blues and yellows and purples, we are all human.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Florida State tragedy reinforces humanity in the face of adversity”

1. Barry Newberger says:

Thank you for the heartfelt words God Bless you all.

Barry Newberger
    FSU
    Class of 1976

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...