News Briefs 11/20

During Toppel's Workout with the FBI at the Wellness Center on Monday, students completed a sports circuit course, lifted weights and jogged with FBI special agents.

During Toppel’s Workout with the FBI at the Wellness Center on Monday, students completed a sports circuit course, lifted weights and jogged with FBI special agents. Amy Sargeant // Contributing Photographer

United Way Miami Heat Tickets

The University of Miami is partnering with the Miami Heat to offer a limited number of tickets to upcoming season games in February. Faculty and staff who make contributions to 2014 United Way on MyUM by Dec. 31 can receive two complimentary tickets to a Miami Heat game. Tickets are available for the Feb. 21, 2015 game against New Orleans, the Feb. 23, 2015 game against Philadelphia and the Feb. 28, 2015 game against Atlanta.

Clinton Global Initiative University

Over 150 student volunteers are needed to assist in a variety of tasks during the eighth annual Clinton Global Initiative University, which is hosted by President Clinton and Chelsea Clinton and will take place from March 6-8, 2015 at the University of Miami. The meeting will bring together student innovators and entrepreneurs to address some of the world’s challenges. Students interested in volunteering can apply online at miami.edu/cgiu under the “student volunteers” tab. The deadline to apply is Dec. 15.

UM Researchers Develop Schizophrenia Treatment

University of Miami researchers have developed a treatment for schizophrenia that incorporates elements of the patient’s cultural background as part of therapy. Family-focused and culturally-informed, the treatment aims to reduce patients’ symptoms and improve patient and caregiver emotional well-being.

Amy Weisman de Mamani, associate professor of psychology in the College of Arts and Sciences was the principal investigator of the study, which consisted of providing patients diagnosed with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder and their caregivers with 15 weekly one-hour sessions. The treatment covered topics and skills, including education about the illness, religious coping, communication training and problem solving.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at e.dabau@umiami.edu.

Emily Dabau

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...