Dieters shouldn’t be disdained

Although I could afford to lose a few pounds, every time I diet, I’m told diets or eating healthy is “stupid” by my peers. Why, in a country that has the highest rate of obesity in the world and idolizes the size-two supermodels, am I always condemned for dieting?

This dieting paradox exists because the reality is that men want it both ways. Men want a Victoria’s Secret model, but also the girl who eats cheeseburgers, drinks cheap beer and indulges in ice cream, because eating unhealthily is fun.

Advertisements for the Carl’s Jr. fast food chain that show a scantily clad Paris Hilton chomping down on a cheeseburger embody this “perfect woman” that men think actually exists.

Unfortunately, most of us can’t have it both ways. Full disclosure: I’m 5 feet 5 inches, weigh 139 pounds and have a BMI of 23. Although I’m a “normal” size, I’m not 100 percent satisfied with my body, nor am I always satisfied with my diet.

I’m not blessed with Jennifer Lawrence’s seemingly magical metabolism, which can maintain a lovehandle-less figure despite regular consumption of McDonald’s. If I didn’t watch my weight and work out six times a week, I wouldn’t even be the normal size I am.

When I watch my weight and try to be healthier, I’m seen as buzzkill, but if I’m not a size two and eat whatever I want, I’m not beautiful. Society tells me to aspire to this perfect figure, but not to take the steps necessary to maintain it.

We should encourage healthier eating, not because we should aspire to these unrealistic standards of feminine beauty, but because it’s better for us. We should stop equating healthy eating and dieting with insecurity and party pooping.

My fellow ladies, don’t roll your eyes when your friend orders a salad. Instead, support her decision to be healthy. Her decision shouldn’t make you feel threatened; it should empower you to be healthy as well. Guys, if you want to date a skinny girl, that’s great. But don’t expect her to order cheeseburgers and drink milkshakes like water.

We can’t have it both ways, and society should stop telling us we can.

Rachel Berquist is a junior majoring in English and psychology.

Featured image courtesy CKE Restaurants and Don Flood.

Rachel Berquist

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...