Basketball, Sports

Canes hoops defeat No. 7-ranked Gators

Just hours before the Miami Hurricanes Basketball team took the court in Gainesville, USA Today released their NCAA Men’s Basketball Coaches Poll determining who was ranked. The University of Florida took the No. 7 rank. Though the Canes remained unranked, they did receive one vote.

After dominating in their first game of the season against Howard, the Canes rose up to the challenge and upset the No. 7/8 ranked Florida Gators 69-67 Monday. Miami is now 2-0.

Redshirt Junior guard Angel Rodriguez scored 24 points including a 3-pointer with 16 seconds left in the game that helped the Canes overcome a 15-point deficit.

The Canes scored 48 points in the second half for the comeback. Rodriguez hit three 3-pointers in a row, giving Miami the lead with 1:45 to go. The fifth 3-pointer of the game for Rodriguez ended the Gators’ 33-game win streak at home, a school record. He was the highest scorer of the game for the Canes.

The Hurricanes shot 65 percent in the second half alone and 70 percent from the 3-point line. Miami was 9-of-11 from the free throw line in the last five minutes of the game. The big man under the basket, 7-foot Junior center Tonye Jekiri, was the team’s highest rebounder grabbing eight.

Miami will travel to Charleston, South Carolina to play Drexel 3 p.m. Thursday in the Gildan Charleston Classic.

Courtney Fiorini

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...