Campus Life, News

Support group aids minority women

The Counseling Center at the University of Miami has been used for group therapy, short-term individual therapy and outreach programs, but now a focused support group could widen the center’s reach even further.

Sisters in Sharing, a drop-in support group for women of color, was founded by Dr. Kisha Bazelais, a licensed psychologist and Dr. Haana Ali, a psychology resident. Open to clients and non-clients of the Counseling Center, the program was organized as a safe space for women of color to discuss topics of interest and offer support to one another.

Ali says that looking back to her own experience in college, a support group to deal with the challenges of being a minority woman in college would have been helpful.

“The group is open to what participants want to discuss,” Ali said. “We’re helping minority students adjust on campus where there’s a majority group, how to process what they’re feeling and to validate what people are experiencing.”

UM students of all ages are encouraged to attend and take part in the discussion. The group is structured so that attendees can drop in on a session, with Bazelais and Ali both available to guide the discussion.

Discussion at each meeting will focus on a theme. Though topics like familial, academic challenges and relationship are universal struggles, Sisters in Sharing also deals with specific areas such as race, culture, sexuality, gender and discrimination.

Chika Gbenoba, a freshman studying psychology, believes this support group is a great idea.

“Just as a place for women of color to come together and relate to one another, it’s so important,” she said. “Maybe it’s a place they can call home.”

Bazelais and Ali, both women of color, have personally experienced challenges of this nature and felt a need to offer a group like this to the UM community, having successfully conducted similar support groups in the past.

“This type of support group can help these women feel less marginalized and better able to cope with concerns related to race and gender, as well as other issues,” Ali said.

Bazelais and Ali say that women of color face unique challenges, particularly in academic settings. Issues of racism, sexism and discrimination can be overwhelming to handle on one’s own.

Ali stresses that the attending the sessions is informal and non-binding, as it is just an opportunity to share and understand the issues that unite these women.

“The hope is that participants will have a better understanding of themselves as racial or cultural beings, be more equipped to manage the unique challenges of being a person of color and develop more support on campus,” Ali said.

Sirisha Gaddipati

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...