Devoted Hurricane, mother Linda Sher-Collado passes away

Linda Sher-Collado, who has worked as a reservationist at the University Center (UC) and Student Activities Center (SAC) for the past 23 years, passed away Friday after losing her battle against cancer. She was 56.

Sher-Collado’s commitment to the University of Miami community led to a nomination for the Association of Greek Letter Organization (AGLO) Outstanding Faculty Member & Staff Award, as well as a recognition during its annual Apple Polishing Reception.

“Linda was beloved by students and the university community,” said Patricia Whitely, vice president of student affairs, in a statement. “She always tried to help, sharing her ‘can do’ spirit, positive attitude and creative approach, warmly with three generations of UM students.”

Sher-Collado was the mother to two sons, Griffin, an undergraduate student at UM, and Ian, who just returned to the U.S. after serving the army in Afghanistan. She was the wife of Alberto, and they resided in Coconut Grove.

A devoted sailor, Sher-Collado managed the UC Pool for years and was very supportive of UM’s diving and swimming teams. She was also a member of the Student Affairs Staff Development Committee.

“Linda was always the first to greet me with a smile on her face, even when I was bugging her about all of the crazy problems our organizations were having,” said Justin Borroto, a UM alumnus who worked with Linda. “She didn’t only care about the UM community but cared about me personally, as she did with all the students that she worked with. I will always remember her for her sarcastic charm, her ability to juggle a million things at once and her perseverance in making things happen. The UM community will miss her dearly.”

According to Whitely, Linda had recently assumed a variety of new responsibilities after transitioning to the SAC, which led her to work closely with clubs and organizations and help students make their programs and events happen.

“Above all, Linda was a consummate Miami Hurricane, a great person who never hesitated to share a smile or a hello as she buzzed through her day,” Whitely said, “She cared and loved our students and community. She will be sorely missed.”

Brandon Gross, assistant director of the Student Center Complex (SCC), shared similar sentiments.

“Her love for students and for her work at the Student Center Complex is what all of us will remember,” Gross said. “Her bubbly personality and positive energy resinated throughout the SCC and will truly be missed.  Whether it was at her pool office or her leadership at her new office at the Student Activities Center, Linda has left an indelible mark on our great campus and it was a privilege to have worked with her.”

A Memorial Viewing, open to visitors, has been scheduled from 5 to 7 p.m.  Monday at the Van Orsdel Funeral Home, located at 4600 SW Eighth St., Coral Gables, Fla. 33143. A private ceremony will later be held for immediate family members only.

Sophie Barros

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an offic ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

Despite a career-best nine saves by Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the Miami soccer team dropped a 1-0 road d ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...