Devoted Hurricane, mother Linda Sher-Collado passes away

Linda Sher-Collado, who has worked as a reservationist at the University Center (UC) and Student Activities Center (SAC) for the past 23 years, passed away Friday after losing her battle against cancer. She was 56.

Sher-Collado’s commitment to the University of Miami community led to a nomination for the Association of Greek Letter Organization (AGLO) Outstanding Faculty Member & Staff Award, as well as a recognition during its annual Apple Polishing Reception.

“Linda was beloved by students and the university community,” said Patricia Whitely, vice president of student affairs, in a statement. “She always tried to help, sharing her ‘can do’ spirit, positive attitude and creative approach, warmly with three generations of UM students.”

Sher-Collado was the mother to two sons, Griffin, an undergraduate student at UM, and Ian, who just returned to the U.S. after serving the army in Afghanistan. She was the wife of Alberto, and they resided in Coconut Grove.

A devoted sailor, Sher-Collado managed the UC Pool for years and was very supportive of UM’s diving and swimming teams. She was also a member of the Student Affairs Staff Development Committee.

“Linda was always the first to greet me with a smile on her face, even when I was bugging her about all of the crazy problems our organizations were having,” said Justin Borroto, a UM alumnus who worked with Linda. “She didn’t only care about the UM community but cared about me personally, as she did with all the students that she worked with. I will always remember her for her sarcastic charm, her ability to juggle a million things at once and her perseverance in making things happen. The UM community will miss her dearly.”

According to Whitely, Linda had recently assumed a variety of new responsibilities after transitioning to the SAC, which led her to work closely with clubs and organizations and help students make their programs and events happen.

“Above all, Linda was a consummate Miami Hurricane, a great person who never hesitated to share a smile or a hello as she buzzed through her day,” Whitely said, “She cared and loved our students and community. She will be sorely missed.”

Brandon Gross, assistant director of the Student Center Complex (SCC), shared similar sentiments.

“Her love for students and for her work at the Student Center Complex is what all of us will remember,” Gross said. “Her bubbly personality and positive energy resinated throughout the SCC and will truly be missed.  Whether it was at her pool office or her leadership at her new office at the Student Activities Center, Linda has left an indelible mark on our great campus and it was a privilege to have worked with her.”

A Memorial Viewing, open to visitors, has been scheduled from 5 to 7 p.m.  Monday at the Van Orsdel Funeral Home, located at 4600 SW Eighth St., Coral Gables, Fla. 33143. A private ceremony will later be held for immediate family members only.

Sophie Barros

Happy Thanksgiving! I started this while I was sitting in Washington-Dulles Airport awaiting my seco ...

This is how extraordinary the University of Miami football season has been: When the Hurricanes won ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes nuggets on Thanksgiving: • There’s no doubt that UM’s home field advantage ...

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The tournament will be played in Southern California next November 22, 23 and 25. ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...