Football, Sports, UM-FSU

Tailgating to start early for FSU game, with increased police presence

This weekend, the most highly anticipated game of the Hurricanes football season will finally come to fruition.

The undefeated, No. 2-ranked Florida State University will come to Sun Life Stadium on Saturday to attempt to squash their rivals — and the Canes look to continue an ongoing home win streak with an upset in prime time.

Due to the high number of attendees expected, the university’s administration and the Sun Life staff will be altering usual processes.

The parking lots will open earlier than usual, giving fans extra time to tailgate and prepare for the game. The Green lot will open at 1 p.m., and the Blue, Orange, Maroon and Purple lots will open at 2 p.m.

According to several fraternity social chairs and brothers, all of the fraternity tailgates will remain in the Orange lot in order to keep their tailgaters together and give the administration a better chance to monitor activity, a practice that has been in place for most of this football season.

There will also be increased police presence throughout all of the parking lots, according to the associate dean of students and director of judicial affairs, Dr. Tony Lake.

In addition, there will be a range of special activities for fans before the game. Students who want to participate in the Hurricane Walk, in which students create a “human tunnel” to welcome the team from their buses into the stadium, must be outside of Gate H by 6 p.m.

There will also be another Fan Zone on the field, with multiple companies giving away prizes. The first 1,000 fans to get to the marketing tent of the Fan Zone will get a Denzel Perryman poster.

Saturday also marks Military Appreciation Day, and the U.S. Army Golden Knights Parachute Team will drop in with an American flag in the pregame ceremonies.

With football season nearing a close in the coming weeks, the Hurricanes will need as much support as they can get as they take on their toughest competitor yet. Come by on Saturday to cheer on the team, have fun and stay safe. As usual, shuttles from campus will begin departing three hours before kickoff.

For more logistics regarding the game, visit hurricanesports.com.

Alexa Pappas

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...