Sports, Tennis

Fall schedule comes to successful close

As the women’s tennis team’s fall schedule comes to a close, junior Stephanie Wagner continues her dominant efforts in every match she plays.

On Saturday, Wagner fell in an arduous 6-3, 7-6 (4) loss to No. 43-ranked Maegan Manasse of the University of California at Berkeley in the semifinals.

Despite the earlier-than-usual exit from the bracket, No. 18-ranked Wagner and the rest of the Hurricanes women’s tennis team closed out a stellar fall season at the ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.

Before the semifinal loss, Wagner bested both the second seed of the tournament and, more notably, the No. 7-ranked Chanelle Van Nguyen of UCLA, 6-2, 6-4. In doubles play, Wagner and senior partner Lina Lileikite pulled out a 6-3, 7-6 (5) victory over the University of Michigan after a first-round bye.

Wagner has been the most standout player on the roster this season, but Lileikite and freshman Sinead Lohan are also weapons to look for in the coming semester.

The doubles team of Wagner and Lileikite, combined with veterans Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno, will make for powerful opponents in doubles play. Lohan has proven strong in both singles and doubles play, making her a versatile asset for all styles of play.

This tournament brings the fall season to a close. The Hurricanes will spend the rest of the semester preparing for one-on-one matches as opposed to tournaments. Their first match will be in January.

Alexa Pappas

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...