Sports, Tennis

Fall schedule comes to successful close

As the women’s tennis team’s fall schedule comes to a close, junior Stephanie Wagner continues her dominant efforts in every match she plays.

On Saturday, Wagner fell in an arduous 6-3, 7-6 (4) loss to No. 43-ranked Maegan Manasse of the University of California at Berkeley in the semifinals.

Despite the earlier-than-usual exit from the bracket, No. 18-ranked Wagner and the rest of the Hurricanes women’s tennis team closed out a stellar fall season at the ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.

Before the semifinal loss, Wagner bested both the second seed of the tournament and, more notably, the No. 7-ranked Chanelle Van Nguyen of UCLA, 6-2, 6-4. In doubles play, Wagner and senior partner Lina Lileikite pulled out a 6-3, 7-6 (5) victory over the University of Michigan after a first-round bye.

Wagner has been the most standout player on the roster this season, but Lileikite and freshman Sinead Lohan are also weapons to look for in the coming semester.

The doubles team of Wagner and Lileikite, combined with veterans Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno, will make for powerful opponents in doubles play. Lohan has proven strong in both singles and doubles play, making her a versatile asset for all styles of play.

This tournament brings the fall season to a close. The Hurricanes will spend the rest of the semester preparing for one-on-one matches as opposed to tournaments. Their first match will be in January.

Alexa Pappas

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...